Friday, July 13, 2007

Unfinished File Of Doom

Progress has been painfully slow on the writing front this week. The plan had been to finish the script for my story in the Robots anthology, but I came within a few panels of the end and decided the pay-off I'd got in mind just wasn't strong enough. I had a go at taking the story in a slightly different direction but that didn't work either. I'm now going to sit on the script for a few days and see if I can work out a better way to wrap it up, otherwise it will join a host of other ideas and script fragments in the "Unfinished file of doom" that sits on my desktop. It will also mean I need to come up with another idea for the Robots project smartish...

On a slightly more positive note, I've started work on the Tim Skinner: Total Scumbag one-shot. I'm only a few pages in but I'm already enjoying myself. For anyone who doesn't know, the story's premise is that Tim Skinner is an astoundingly horrible individual who owns a magic comicbook collection. From time to time, Skinner is physically sucked into one of the comics and, once there, can interract with the characters he meets. However, for Skinner, "interacting" usually means mocking, exploiting and brutalising them for shits and giggles.

The story gives me a perfect opportunity to satirise the comicbook industry. It was Superman, Lex Luthor and Lois Lane in the first Skinner story (in 2005's SHRIEK! one-shot) but this time I'm going to be casting my net of cheap shots and puerile humour a little wider to embrace a host of much-loved comics, characters and creators. Oddly enough, a lot of the best gags I've got in mind actually have people I rather admire squarely in their line of fire...

No comments: