Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Kurse words

THE final outline has been written and is now with the LA movie people. More news soon hopefully...

The last outline I wrote for them was one for Kurse. Now, if you're a regular reader of this blog, you'll know that I've been writing a Kurse one-shot for the last few months and that progress has been even slower than usual. Although a lot of the stuff in there - characters, ideas, situations - were pretty good ones, it just wasn't hanging together in the way that it should. It felt like two or three different stories sort of mushed together and was therefore a bit uneven.

A way of fixing all the problems came to me last week and the solution was simple. In the words of Edwyn Collins, rip it up and start again. So I did. I kept quite a few elements from the original story but have completely reconfigured everything else - most of the plot has completely changed, almost all the characters have changed and the story is infinitely stronger as a result.

I was about 20 pages into writing the comic-book version of Kurse and it means I'm going to have to start from scratch but this is a small sacrifice to finally get the story working as it should. God knows what the poor bloody artist, who has been waiting for a script for two years, is going to think though...

Luckily, I have another week off work soon and shall spend it banging out Kurse script pages like there's no tomorrow. Unless I change my mind again that is...

4 comments:

jamie said...

what's it all about,roughly?

Unknown said...

Kurse - the tyrannical ruler of Earth in the 31st century - is overthrown and sent back through time to serve his penance in exile in the 14th century. However, the time capsule malfunctions and ends up popping out of the time stream in Manhattan in 2009. Kurse starts plotting anew...

jamie said...

...!
wow,lol... how did/do you come up with these crazy ideas?
i'm not arse kissing (yet) but that sounds like a great idea,and visually could be a stunning looking book/film.

Unknown said...

I pitched Kurse to the movie people as "Scarface with time travel" which sums it up quite nicely I think...