Sunday, May 6, 2007

It's May, so it must be Bristol...

Another year, another Bristol. It's going to be a weird one this year as, for the first time, I 1) don't have any "new product" to sell and 2) am up for an award.

I'm going to take the opportunity to plug the hell out of the forthcoming Blood Psi and see if I can sell a few copies of Hero Killers on the back of its Eagle Awards nomination. Otherwise, it'll be a case of trying to sign-up a few new artists for projects next year (including someone who can draw in a manga style, he added mysteriously), attempting to schmooze a few pros (that's comics professionals rather than prostitutes, you understand), and catching up with the people I usually catch up with at these things.

I don't have a lot of cash to go crazy with this year, so my comic and DVD purchases are going to be kept to a minimum. As always though, I'll still visit Chris Staros' Top Shelf table and get him to recommend a couple of recent releases. I've also got my eye on a couple of British indie books – namely volume three of Paul Scott's excellent sci-fi anthology Omnivistascope, and Scar Comics' Falling Sky, which has had rave reviews from all and sundry.

I have no idea whether Dec and I will come home with the Eagle or not. We both worked hard to get the Hero Killers vote out but we're up against some pretty popular books. In fact, if I were a betting man, I'd have an each-way wager on Malcolm Magic or Future Quake to win. Well, I would if Ladbrokes actually accepted bets on obscure nerd-related awards ceremonies anyway...

No comments: